These are a few of my favorite things....
This weekend, in honor of my fast approaching 50th birthday, I give you 50 of my favorite things. You know, just things: moments, fragrances, sights, sounds, tastes, experiences. Just 50 golden things that have made my life sweet and joyful.
For all of these things, I am ultimately thankful to my precious Lord, who showers me (and you) with more blessings than we ever actually even take notice of. But as the years have gone by, I have indeed become much more grateful and aware of the little moments, the small things.
As usual, these are in no particular order, just the way they struck my fancy!
- Restaurant coffee with real cream...and Splenda.
- The smell of freshly mowed grass on a Spring day.
- My daughter Abigail's beautiful smile.
|photo credit: Hannah Whaley|
- A sweet, unexpected card in the mail from a friend.
- My husband James' laughter when we get to being silly together.
- Any meal prepared by my Mother, especially one served in her home.
- A beautiful Arizona sunrise, followed hours later by an equally lovely sunset...all pinks, purples, blues, and oranges!
- Going out for breakfast.
- Running with my friend Kim, especially on the Oregon coast!
|We were actually hiking here, but we did run the next day :)|
- Having tea or lunch with my lifelong friend Michelle.
|Michelle and I at a UGA game. That's fun too!|
- The newsy Birthday Card I receive every year from my friend Candy.
- Riding in the car while my Daddy drives. I always feel the very safest when I'm with my Daddy :)
- Listening to my son Daniel talk...about anything that is important or interesting to him.
Okay, this list is bringing tears to my eyes. Just wanted you to know that!
- A room decorated tastefully in reds, goldenrod, green and a little blue.
- Being done with the dentist for 6 more months!
- My quiet time with God each morning.
- My Bible, given to me by my Precept Bible study class in Bowdon, Georgia, twenty-one years ago, filled with notes and markings which journal my walk with the Lord.
- The sad feeling you get when you finish an especially good book.
- Getting comments on my blog...hint, hint!
- Jane Austen books and movies.
- Road trip!!
- Meeting women who minister to women as I go new places for speaking engagements.
|Kim and I with Amy Speck at Emmanuel Bible Church in Simcoe, Ontario, Canada|
- A grilled cheese sandwich and Campbell's tomato soup.
- Rooting on the Arizona Wildcats basketball team with my family!
- A clean house.
- A warm shower after a sweaty workout or hike.
- Hearing my husband preach.
- Just spending time with a sweet friend.
- Hearing other peoples' stories, especially their journeys with the Lord.
- A really good birthday/wedding cake with white buttercream icing. Oh. My. Word!
- The sound of children laughing and playing happily.
- Watching a really good chick flick with a Diet Coke, popcorn and a box of raisinets, and someone I love.
- A beautifully wrapped package...especially one with something wonderful inside!
- Shopping with money in my purse :)
- Cooking a new recipe that turns out well.
- The moment I walk away from my desk after just finishing and turning in a work assignment.
- Thursdays...except this Thursday, because I was (am) sick all day.
- When you try on a garment in the fitting room and it fits surprisingly well and looks really good.
- When my daughter calls or answers the phone and has that sweet lilt in her voice. LOVE that!
- Seeing my daughter on stage.
- Worshiping Jesus along with my church family on Sunday mornings. So sweet!
- Playing board games with my son, even virtually. (It's your turn, Daniel!)
- Good chips and salsa. (Not too hot, thank you very much!)
- The moment when you feel like someone else really "gets you."
- Seeing an email in my inbox inviting me to speak somewhere. Thrilling!
- Answered prayers.
- Seeing a shooting star cross the night sky.
- Hearing Michelle play her flute, hearing Candy play her French horn, or hearing Kim sing. What does it mean that all three of my very dearest friends have music degrees?
- Laying my head down and closing my eyes after an especially satisfying day, reflecting on the sweetness of it all.
Are any of these things also on your list of "favorite things?" I'd love to know!
Labels: 50th Birthday Posts, blessings